Advance Income tax in India
- No Advance Tax need to be paid, if total tax payable for the year is less than Rs. 5,000.
- When employer deducts tax from Salary, employee need not pay Advance Tax.
- Non-payment or short payment of Advance Tax will attract penal interest.
What if you don’t pay advance tax?
There are penalties in the form of interest payments to the taxman. But before worrying about penalties, find out if you are liable to pay advance tax. You don’t have to pay tax in advance if your tax liability is Rs 5,000 or less after reducing the tax deducted at source (TDS) from the total tax payable. Thus, if you are a male below 65 years of age and expect to earn Rs 2 lakh this year, an amount on which the tax payable is Rs 15,300, and the tax deducted at source is Rs 10,301, then the balance payable is Rs 4,999. Since this amount is less than Rs 5,000, you won’t have to pay any advance tax during the year. However, in cases where your tax liability is more than Rs 5,000 after deducting the TDS from your gross tax liability, you will have to pay tax in three instalments.
advance tax is payable in three instalments
Let’s take a look at the instalments and the percentage of tax payable: Advance tax instalments (Section 211)
In the case of individuals, the advance tax is payable in three instalments:
- First instalment by September 15 At least 30 per cent of total amount.
- Second instalment by December 15 At least 60 per cent of total amount, less amount paid in first instalment.
- Third instalment by March 15 100 per cent (total amount), less amount paid in the first two instalments.
- View a full fledged demo on eDeskOnline
- Taxation in India
- Income tax in India
- Permanent account number for Income tax in India
- Income tax in India for Individuals
- Income tax in India for Partnership Firms
- Income tax in India for Corporates
- Income tax in India for Hindu Undivided Families _ HUFs
- TDS Tax Deducted at Source Indian Income Tax
- My eTax Profile.
- Capital Account
- Capital gain
- Capital gains tax
- Stt on capital Gains
- Capital Gains (India)
- Advance Income tax in India
- Guide to filing tax returns
- Income Tax FAQs
- Income tax in India