Director's Indentification Number DIN
DIRECTORS IDENTIFICATION NUMBER (DIN)
The concept of a Director Identification Number (DIN) has been introduced for the first time with the insertion of Sections 266A to 266G of Companies (Amendment) Act, 2006. As such, all the existing and intending Directors have to obtain DIN within the prescribed time-frame as notified.
Step by step process to be followed by the applicant is as under
Step I. Obtain provisional DIN
The applicant is required to fill-up and submit form DIN-1 online for obtaining provisional DIN. Form DIN-1 is available under 'Apply for DIN' tab on the left hand side panel under DIN' link on the homepage of MCA portal.
Step II. Pay Din application fee
The applicant is required to login to the MCA portal and click on 'Pay Miscellaneous fee' link available under the 'Services' tab. Select 'DIN application fee' option and enter the provisional DIN. Applicant can make the payment of fee by using any of three modes of payment available on MCA portal. Form DIN-1 will be processed only after the DIN application fee is paid.
Step III. Dispatch DIN application to MCA DIN Cell
The applicant is required to take a print-out of Form DIN-1 (containing provisional DIN generated online). Fill the service Request Number (SRN) of the fee paid. Sign the DIN application form manually and paste a good resolution photograph in the space earmarked. Attach the photocopies of the 'Proof of Identity' (Attach additional proof, if 'Father's name and 'Date of Birth' is not indicated in the 'Proof of Identity') and the 'Proof of Residence' with DIN application form and tick the relevant checkbox against the document name. Get the photograph and the attached supporting documents attested from an approved authority as specified in form DIN-1. The certifying authority must mention its particulars such as Name, COP No. etc, and affix its seal/ stamp.
Complete set of documents is required to be sent to MCA DIN Cell at Noida, by post, courier or hand delivery, as per convenience, within 60 days from the date of generation of provisional DIN online.
Processing of DIN application
DIN application is received by MCA DIN Cell. DIN application form and attached supporting documents are scrutinized and if found in order, the provisional DIN is approved and activated in the system. If there is any defect in the DIN application, the provisional DIN is rejected. It takes about a week's time to complete this process. DIN approval/ rejection letter is generated and sent by post to the applicant. The status of application can also be tracked from the 'DIN Approval status' tab in the DIN corner. .
How to check the DIN Approval Status
- Click on the 'Director Identification Number' link available on the MCA portal homepage www.mca.gov.in
- On the next screen tothe left hand side... click on the option= DIN Approval Status.
- Fill up the DIN number in required field and click submit.
- The status of the DIN would be shown.
Steps after approval of DIN
Applicable only for existing directors appointed upto 30 th June, 2007)
1. Intimate approved DIN to your Companies
On approval of DIN, intimate your DIN to all the company(ies) (within a period of 30 days from the date of approval) in which you are a Director, in form DIN-2. Form DIN-2 can be downloaded and printed from the 'DIN' link on the homepage of MCA portal.
2. Company to intimate your DIN to ROC
After the Director has intimated the DIN allotted to the company(ies), the Company(ies) is/are then required to intimate the DINs of its directors to the ROC in Form DIN-3 within a period of seven days of receiving form DIN-2.
Post-approval changes in particulars of DIN-1
If there is any change in the particulars submitted in form DIN-1, File form DIN-4 for intimating the changes in the particulars within 30 days. For instance in the event of change of address of a director, he/ she is required to intimate this change by submitting Form DIN-4 along with the required attested documents with MCA DIN Cell.
Please remember following common causes of REJECTIONS of DIN Applications
- Applicant’s name and father’s name mentioned in abbreviated form. - The Name should be expanded even if the ID proof contains the name in abbreviated form.
- Mismatch in the Name and Father’s Name in DIN form with the ID (Identity) proof enclosed. - Any mismatch in Name, including spelling mistake, may lead to rejection of application. Minor spelling deviations in the father’s name may be accepted, if such deviations do not materially impact the name.
- Prefixes like Mr. / Ms. / Kumari / Shri etc. used in the applicant’s name.
- Residence proofs like: Bank Statements, Electricity Bill, Telephone Bill, Utility bills etc. submitted are older than 2 months of submitting the application for verification OR such documents are in the name of some other person, for example father or spouse.
- The supporting documents are not duly attested i.e. Name, Designation, Membership/ Practicing certificate number etc. are not clearly indicated. – If the seal/ stamp does not contain membership/ practicing certificate number.
Digital Signature Certificate Registration
DSC registration is also called Role Check
Role check for Indian companies is to be implemented in the MCA application. Role check can be performed only after the signatories have registered their Digital signature certificates (DSC) with MCA.
Once the role check is implemented, system shall verify whether the signature on the eform filed, is of signatory of the company.
This activity is required before uploading Form18 or Form20B etc... on mca website. This activity is one time and is valid uptill the expiry of the DSC.
Prerequisite -- connect the eToken to the computer first.
Step by step process to be followed for registration of Director’s DSC is as under:
- Click on the 'Register DSC' link available on the MCA portal homepage.
- On the next screen, click on the 'Director' link on the left hand panel and fill-up your DIN. *Please ensure that the DIN is approved and typed correctly.
- System shall verify that the DIN is valid and approved. If the DIN is filled incorrectly or DIN filled is not approved, system will throw an error message to that effect.
- Fill-up rest of the particulars and ensure that details filled are as per DIN- 1. If the applicant has filed DIN-4, then fill the details as submitted in DIN-4 form.
- Click on the 'Next' button. The system would verify the details.
- If the details filled do not match with DIN-1/ DIN-4, as the case may be, for the reason that you do not have your DIN application details, you can get the details from the company in which you are a director.
- If the details are correct, the system would prompt you to select the DSC.
- Click on the 'Select Certificate' button to browse and select the certificate. Please ensure that the selected DSC belongs to the applicant, whose particulars are being registered.
- System shall validate the DSC. If the selected DSC is already registered against given DIN, system will give an informatory message. If a different DSC is already registered against the given DIN, system will ask if the user wants to update his/ her DSC.
- Type the displayed system generated text for verification in the box provided.
- No field should be left blank even if it is not mandatory.
- Click on 'I agree' button to agree to the declaration that details furnished are correct.
- Click on the 'Submit' button to register your DSC.
- Acknowledgement message is displayed to the user.
- User can take a print-out of the acknowledgement.
- The applicant can click on the 'Reset' function to clear the data in the fields.
- Registrar of Companies (ROC)
- Director's Indentification Number DIN
- How to Apply for Digital Signature Certificate for Directors