Shops and Establishment Act
Scheme of Articles
- Different Stages of management
What is The Shops & Establishment Act
The Shops and Establishment Act is a state legislation act and each state has framed its own rules for the Act. The object of this Act is to provide statutory obligation and rights to employees and employers in the unauthorized sector of employment, i.e., shops and establishments. This Act is applicable to all persons employed in an establishment with or without wages, except the members of the employers’ family.
The rules in the shops and establishment act
This Act lays down the following rules:
- Working hours per day and week.
- Guidelines for spread-over, rest interval, opening and closing hours, closed days, national and religious holidays, overtime work.
- Employment of children, young persons and women.
- Rules for annual leave, maternity leave, sickness and casual leave, etc.
- Rules for employment and termination of service.
Registration of shop / establishment is necessary...
- Under this Act, registration of shop / establishment is necessary within thirty days of commencement of work.
- Fifteen days of notice is required to be served before the closing of the establishment State government can exempt, either permanently or for specified period, any establishments from all or any provisions of this Act.
What are the questions that are asked in the application form for the registration of a shop / establishment ?
What are the documents that are to be submitted in the application form for the registration of a shop / establishment ?
Documets to prove the existence of the firm: e.g.
- Certificate of incorporation / partnership deed
- PAN number
What is the registration fee for an establishment with 1 to 5 employees?
Ans. Rs. 1400/-
Renewal Of the License
- The Shops and Establishment Certificate is renewed on a yearly basis. For a License obtained any time during the year the Shops and Establishment License expires on the 31st December. Registration:– Form A – Within 31 days of its commencement
- The renewal is made by filling "FORM B" which can be obtained free of Cost from the nearest Municipal Office.
Renewal Form B – Last date 15th December
- The Fees for the renewal of the Shops and Establishment License is Rs. 1200 for an establishment with 1 to 5 employees.
Fees per year for Registration , Renewal , Trade Refuse Charges
- Nil Employees Rs. 50/- Rs. 50/- Rs. 150/-
- 1 to 5 Employees Rs. 150/- Rs. 150/- Rs. 450/-
- 6 to 10 Employees Rs. 300/- Rs. 300/- Rs. 900/-
- 11 to 20 Employees Rs. 600/- Rs. 600/- Rs. 1800/-
- 21 to 50 Employees Rs. 1500/- Rs. 1500/- Rs. 4500/-
- 51 to 100 Employees Rs. 3000/- Rs. 3000/- Rs. 9000/-
- 101 and above Employees Rs. 4000/- Rs. 4000/- Rs. 12000/-
Fees for Notice in Change, to be submitted along with Form E / Rs. 50/-
Cheque to be drawn in favour of “Municipal Corporation of Greater Mumbai”.
The rule for display of Marathi nameplates for shops and establishments has been in existence since 1961,
Dos and Donts
- Do not apply for the license in the end months as the fees charged would be a full amount and the license will expire in december.
Mumbai G Ward
near deepak cinema
2430 5031 x 604, 605. 2nd fl., 13 room .. 10 to 13 hrs.
Counter timings 10 to 15hrs.